Had lots of (labour intensive) fun putting together my spring window flower bombs which are swaying sweetly in today’s fresh Arafura breeze. More pics over at www.facebook.com/frondstore
Hullo lovely Frondettes! Too long a time between posts, I know, but I have the wonderful excuse of having been on holiday in France for a couple of weeks – an excuse which I feel incredibly lucky to have. What a fabulous place, what a beautiful time we’ve had. Feeling full of inspiration (not to mention full of fromage and vin rouge) and happy to be back in Frond in the lead up to the Dry season and Frond’s First Birthday. There are lots of GORGEOUS things coming this way and I’ll be doing plenty of updates so stay tuned for new arrivals and announcements.
In the meantime, wishing you all a happy Monday. Bonne journée et à bientôt! xx
Photo by Dave Bloom via http://hipparis.com/
I’m excited to be receiving a visit from the Chung Wa Society’s lion tomorrow to bless the shop and bring good luck for the Year of the Rabbit! I’ll be sure to bring a big, fresh lettuce for him. Sounds like the Year of the Rabbit is going to be a good one. I particularly love this description of the rabbit and hope that, in this guise, he hops often into Frond over the next year: “With his soft speech and graceful and nimble ways, the rabbit symbolizes graciousness, good manners, sound counsel, kindness, and sensitivity to beauty”. Aww.
I’m off to see Black Swan this afternoon (with the lovely and talented Julia from Casuarina Media). We’re looking forward to a dance movie (who doesn’t love a dance movie - even one as dark and disturbed as this one sounds!) and also to the gorgeous costumes created for the dancers by Rodarte and hopefully lots of legwarmers and stylishly layered bits and pieces of ’warm-up’ gear. It’s got me reminiscing about some fav dance movies and dance movie fashion moments….
1. Nothing like a Rodarte tutu to help you discover your dark side – Natalie Portman in Dark Swan
2. Audrey Hepburn in that fabulous scene where she does the crazy “modern” dancing at a Parisian jazz club in Funny Face. The black skivvy, the black cigarette pants, the black ballet flats – timeless chic. It’s Audrey after all. She can do no wrong.
3. Kevin Bacon in Footloose - high-waisted jeans, sneakers, muscle tank, gel. It was hot. At the time. And the guy could dance. Besides, I was myself a child of the 80s and guilty of many a sin involving hair gel and high waists.
Come on, admit it, your foot’s already tapping - “been working so hard, keep punching my card…”
4. Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain, or in anything for that matter. Fitted, collared tee, turned-up trousers, brylcreem. Immaculate, elegant, gorgeous. Hot then, hot now.
5. Jennifer Beals in Flashdance. Ok, so she’s not actually dancing here but Flashdance was as much about ripped jeans and off-the-shoulder tops as it was about dancing. Don’t tell me that any of you ladies who just bought your grey marle Tluxe slouchy tees didn’t – just for a second – bare a shoulder in front of the mirror and have Michael Sembello’s ‘Maniac’ start running through your head.
6. Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing. Sigh. The slim black pants and black singlet on him, the denim cut-offs and white knotted shirt on her, the intense eye-contact… Very simple, super sexy.
Ok, that’s the end of my little jaunt (jazz run? jeté?) down memory lane. Have a fabulous weekend all. x
It’s been such a terrific first week back in the store – I’ve loved seeing all those familiar Frond faces plus plenty of new ones. I’ve been feeling very lucky to have had such a generous and happy break over the festive season with many peaceful moments in some of my most beloved Sydney spots. And am grateful also to be back in beautiful Darwin – monsoonal mystery of a place that it is! Counting my lucky stars that my start to 2011 has been such a lovely one when so many others are having such a tough introduction to the New Year.
I hope everyone’s weekend is a happy and relaxed one. x
Frond is back open on Monday 17th January. In the meantime I’m stocking up on enough Bondi swims to get me through the rest of the Wet season! Hope you’re all having a fabulous start to 2011. xxx
Photo from Aquabumps