I’m off to see Black Swan this afternoon (with the lovely and talented Julia from Casuarina Media). We’re looking forward to a dance movie (who doesn’t love a dance movie - even one as dark and disturbed as this one sounds!) and also to the gorgeous costumes created for the dancers by Rodarte and hopefully lots of legwarmers and stylishly layered bits and pieces of ’warm-up’ gear. It’s got me reminiscing about some fav dance movies and dance movie fashion moments….
1. Nothing like a Rodarte tutu to help you discover your dark side – Natalie Portman in Dark Swan
2. Audrey Hepburn in that fabulous scene where she does the crazy “modern” dancing at a Parisian jazz club in Funny Face. The black skivvy, the black cigarette pants, the black ballet flats – timeless chic. It’s Audrey after all. She can do no wrong.
3. Kevin Bacon in Footloose - high-waisted jeans, sneakers, muscle tank, gel. It was hot. At the time. And the guy could dance. Besides, I was myself a child of the 80s and guilty of many a sin involving hair gel and high waists.
Come on, admit it, your foot’s already tapping - “been working so hard, keep punching my card…”
4. Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain, or in anything for that matter. Fitted, collared tee, turned-up trousers, brylcreem. Immaculate, elegant, gorgeous. Hot then, hot now.
5. Jennifer Beals in Flashdance. Ok, so she’s not actually dancing here but Flashdance was as much about ripped jeans and off-the-shoulder tops as it was about dancing. Don’t tell me that any of you ladies who just bought your grey marle Tluxe slouchy tees didn’t – just for a second – bare a shoulder in front of the mirror and have Michael Sembello’s ‘Maniac’ start running through your head.
6. Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing. Sigh. The slim black pants and black singlet on him, the denim cut-offs and white knotted shirt on her, the intense eye-contact… Very simple, super sexy.
Ok, that’s the end of my little jaunt (jazz run? jeté?) down memory lane. Have a fabulous weekend all. x